Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
The Master of Divinity degree is a professional degree which will equip graduates with the comprehensive graduate education necessary for becoming an ordained minister. This program is designed to provide the student with both the foundations in the Scriptures and Theology and to provide the skills for effective pastoral ministry within the local church. It will provide the foundation for further professional doctoral studies and is also designed to strengthen the student's personal spirituality and to refine skills for ministry. At the conclusion of this program the student should:
1. Demonstrate a solid understanding of the Bible in its themes and structure.
2. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Christian theology.
3. Have developed a foundation for leadership within Christian organizations
4. Demonstrate an ability to communicate within a variety of settings.
5. Articulate a Christian worldview for ministry.
6. Demonstrate ability to exegete Biblical texts using both Biblical language skills and principles of interpretation
7. Have developed an understanding of personal strengths and weaknesses for future development in pastoral ministry
8. Have understanding of church pastoral ministry requirements.
9. Have developed foundation for optional future professional development
Degree Requirements/ Time Limit
1. Successfully complete 108 semester units of the following coursework with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale:
1) Complete 60 semester units of the common core courses.
2) Complete 30 semester units of unrestricted electives.
3) Complete 6 semester units of master’s project courses.
2. Complete all financial requirements
3. File an application for intent to graduate with the university office 8 weeks prior to graduation to certify that all graduation requirements have been met.
4. Complete the degree requirements within the time limit.
5. The Master of Divinity program must be completed within 6 years from the time the student commenced the first course, as a regular student, which applies to the degree requirements.
Common Core Courses
60 semester units
The Master of Divinity Degree student will choose a minimum of 60 semester units of Common Core Courses from any of the following courses:
Church History/Historical Theology
30 semester units
The Master of Divinity Degree student will choose a minimum of 30 semester units of Unrestricted Electives
Master’s Research Project
6 semester units
Students are required to complete a Master’s research project for Master’s degree in the form of a thesis and present it to the Master’s Research Evaluation Committee for approval during the student’s final semester. Candidates for the Master’s Research Project are required to enroll in the following preparation course work of master’s research project (MRP 591) and writing a thesis project (MRP 593) under the guidance.
MRP 591/ Master’s Research Project II-1 ············· 3/45
MRP 593/ Master’s Research Project II-2 ············· 3/45